Sunday 24 February 2013

Courtesan Dim Sum Bar

Ahead of Valentine's Day this year, Brixton Blog ran a competition to win a meal for two at Courtesan. Being familiar with the delicious dim sum served here I of course had to enter the competition, and crossed my fingers for the win. Regrettably, I wasn't the lucky one. However, I was delighted to receive the 'consolation prize' of a 20% off coupon to be used at the restaurant.

I went today with a couple of friends - which really is an ideal size group because many of the dim sum are served in portions of three. Knowing that we had a whopping great discount to play with we ordered a rather large spread of food:

Stormy Seaweed


Deep Fried Squid


Wagyu & Ribeye Slider


A selection of dim sum on my plate, clockwise from top: King Prawn & Wasabi (steamed); Char Siu Bun; Prawn & Crab (steamed)

A couple of the dishes I'd tried before: King Prawn & Wasabi is one of my favourites - it includes whole prawn and a sharp burst of wasabi. I love the contrast of textures between the very meaty prawn and the delicate, gelatinous casing of the dim sum. The Char Siu I'd also eaten before - I find the sweetness of the bun and its sticky texture just irresistible.

The Prawn & Crab dim sum were very nice, although I struggled to detect much crab as the prawn flavour was quite overpowering. I had been very excited to try the Wagyu & Ribeye slider, a new addition to the menu. It's an innovative use of the dough used in a Char Siu Bun: here it is used to encase a mini burger. We ordered two plates of these (four sliders in total) and were very impressed with the size - I'd expected them to be much smaller. They were delicious - the tender, juicy meat providing a savoury centre for the two sweet buns. In all honesty, this could possibly be just as good with 100% ribeye, which is one of my favourite cuts of beef anyway - I'm not sure how much difference the wagyu made when mixed and cooked with another cut of beef. I would be interested to know what proportion of the meat was in fact wagyu. Regardless, I love the innovative approach that Courtesan take in dishes such as this.

The sides were also delicious - I love that rubbery texture that seaweed has when served fresh, and its delicate taste of the sea. The fried calamari with spicy dip was also perfectly decent.

I think one of my favourite things about Courtesan is that not only are the flavours most of the time absolutely spot on (and often a little bit adventurous), but the textures of the dishes are almost a feature in and of themselves. I know that in China the 'mouth feel' of dishes is really important - but I've not often experienced this delight in textures within Chinese food in England apart from at this restaurant.

Courtesan is definitely a favourite of mine - not only is the food great, but the atmosphere is very relaxed, and the decor although quite striking, is not distracting. And if I needed any more reasons to love this place, I've been told that the owner grew up on the road I live on, which is a nice little connection.

I will no doubt be returning soon. As Courtesan have quite a large selection of wheat-free dishes on the menu I think this may be the restaurant of choice on Mother's Day for my wheat-intolerant Mama!

The meal for three with soft drinks came to around £43, inclusive of 20% discount and service charge.

Courtesan
69-73 Atlantic Road
Brixton
London
SW9 8PU
Tel: 0208 127 8677

5 comments:

  1. Tash @ Food I Fancy

    Fab review and love Courtesan too! I cannot get enough of their prawn and beancurd cheung fun. It's been a while since I've had it, admittedly, but will remedy that soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'll put the prawn and beancurd cheung fun on my list of things to try next time.

      Delete
  2. Such a delicious meal this afternoon, loved the char siu and slider and all the dumplings, basically loved everything! Need to visit again for sure

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was such a great meal wasn't it. And actually much more filling than I had expected!

      Delete
  3. Great Post hunny !!
    new followeer!
    check me out ;) xx
    textbookbeauty.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete